LOCATION: Kalamazoo Brewery
REPORTS TO: Pub Brewing Operations Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time, Hourly
SHIFT: 2nd Shift (12:00pm- 8:00pm)
POSTING DATES: 10/08/2014-10/26/2014
POSITION SUMMARY: Works at the Downtown Brewery to operate and maintain equipment needed to produce wort, oversee fermentation, conditioning and packaging of beer. Assists in a variety of aspects throughout the business as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adheres to and advances the “Safety Always” culture of Bell’s Brewery.
- Operates grain processing and brewing equipment according to standardized procedures.
- Operates CIP (Clean In Place) process and Cellar equipment according to standardized operating procedures.
- Sanitation of all beer contact surfaces and equipment.
- Monitors fermentations.
- Prepares beer for packaging.
- Packages beer, primarily in kegs.
- Assists lab with any quality assurance/quality control needs.
- Troubleshoots equipment problems.
- Cleans and maintains all areas of downtown brewery.
- Alerts the Pub Brewing Operations Manager or other management personnel to potential quality concerns.
- Ability to function in a variety of work locations.
- Flexible schedule, schedule will fluctuate dependent on production needs and some weekends, required.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Grain processing and brewhouse equipment
- Forklift trucks
- A variety of hand and power tools
- Hoses, valves, clamps, gaskets, and other brewery equipment
- Cleaning agents and other hazardous chemicals
- Computer equipment
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The ability and aptitude to work with and troubleshoot equipment.
- The ability to operate a forklift.
- Some physical strength and agility necessary.
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self motivated with good time management skills.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the organization.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- Formal brewing education and 3-5 years brewing experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience in beer production and packaging.
- Prior pub brewing and barrel aging experience a plus.
- Knowledge of traditional and innovative brewing techniques and styles.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, and Word.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 55 pounds and occasionally maneuver 165 lb kegs.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment is usually that of a brewing and packaging facility.
- The employee frequently must work in a sanitary environment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, flame, hot liquids, and steam.
- The employee regularly works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- Occasional travel is required.
Bell’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer.