1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable
2) Pure - taste and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, plasticizer-free
3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen
4) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary)
5) Clear and colorless. Better Bottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys.
The special PET, used to make BetterBottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics. BetterBottle carboys are ideal for home winemaking and home brewing, and cost much less to ship than glass.
I ordered 4 better bottles from Bell's and have largely been happy with my purchase. First, the pros:
1.They're light (to pick up, to ship)
2. They're cheaper than glass (both to buy and to ship!)
3. They don't break (barring some serious abuse)
4. They are effective (isn't this the most important part?}
5. They clean easily (w/o brushes, etc.)
1. Be careful about putting hot liquids in them, (I put my wort in at 140 degrees (they said don't exceed 160) and the bottle warped, albeit slightly)
2. The bottles are not totally rigid and therefore can expel their contents forcefully if pressure is applied, say, when moving them!